Even though our new Key Chain will not be out until early 2013, here is some official info on it for those who have been inquring. Everyone who saw this at Interbike was stoked on it and we can’t wait to get it out.
1. Oversize Pins. Traditional chain pins are 3mm in diameter, ours are 5mm. This not only makes them stronger but gives a bigger contact with the plates and so makes them harder to push or bend out. Additionally, the pins are riveted in place. Available in Hollow and Solid pin versions.
2. Thicker but lower profile side plates. With an extra narrow waist to each plate they are harder to catch on things. But at 1.4mm thick they are substantially thicker than the plates on any other chain and 50% harder to bend than the thickest existing 1.2mm chain plates.
3. Unique Master and Half links with threaded pins. Break and re-join the chain with just a 3mm hex key. Half link plates are less narrowed at the bends to increase stiffness and minimise stretch. By eliminating the use of a chain breaker to re-join the chain we can ensure factory tightness on all the pins.
4. Low overall weight. By using material as efficiently as possible we have strengthened every component of the chain and kept the weight the same as our Bluebird chain.
5. Low stretch. By using a standard alternating plate pattern and limiting to a single beefed up half link chain stretch is minimised, which in turn maximises sprocket and driver lifespan.
Right now, we have Hoang Tran, Gary Young and Mike Taylor running the Key Chain prototypes.